Airports & Airstrips
Updated: Monday, February 18, 2008
Fiji has two international airports. The busiest is the Nadi International Airport, which feeds the majority of the tourist market, while the smaller Nausori airport is half an hour out of the capital city Suva and feeds mostly the business and returning residents market.
Airports Fiji Limited operates a number of smaller airports and airstrips around the islands of Fiji, providing easy access for travellers to resorts and hotels around the country.
The domestic air services fly to:
- Labasa [LBS] – The main town on Fiji’s second largest island of Vanua Levu. Labasa is on the northern side of the island.
- Savusavu [SVU] - Also located on Vanua Levu but on the southern coastline. Savusavu is a tourist hub for the island, with its sheltered bay and marina also providing international yachting access.
- Matei [TVU] - Matei is located on the northern tip of Taveuni, which is the third largest island in Fiji. It is a popular tourist destination because of the world-class diving near along its deep trenches.
- Kadavu (Vunisea) [KDV] - Kadavu is Fiji’s fourth largest island and is located to the South. It is a popular adventure destination and its diving spots are internationally renowned.
- Rotuma [RTA] - Rotuma is Fiji’s furthest outlying island to the north-west of the central group of Fiji Islands.
- Koro [KXF] – Located on Koro Island in the Koro Sea in the central part of Fiji.
- Bureta [LEV] – On the eastern side of the island of Ovalau, which is to the immediate east of Viti Levu. Ovalau’s main town, Levuka, was the original capital of Fiji before the seat of government was moved to its present location in Suva.
- Gau [NGI] - Gau is located in the Koro Sea to the south west of Koro Island.
- Vanuabalavu [VBV], Lakeba [LKB], Cicia [ICI], Moala [MFJ] - These airstrips are all located in the outerlying Lau Group in Fiji’s far south-east. Some of the islands are closer to Tonga than Fiji.
- Mana Island [MNF] and Malolo Lailai [PTF] - Mana Island and Malolo Lailai Island are both popular holiday destinations in the Mamanuca chain of islands off the Nadi coast.
- Turtle Island [TTL] – A privately owned island in the Yasawa group. It is a luxury resort destination.
- Deuba (Pacific Harbour) [PHR] – This airstrip is currently not in use.