Diving & Surfing
Updated: Friday, May 09, 2008
Fiji offers some of the best diving, snorkelling and surfing in the South Pacific. So if you love these activities, Fiji is an alluring destination.
Surfing at the Astrolabe is magnificient
Massive formations of coral reefs protect Fiji’s islands from the ravages of the Pacific Ocean. In fact Fiji’s Astrolabe Reef in the North is the fourth largest in the world. Other smaller reefs surrounding Kadavu and Taveuni provide vibrant dive spots, while relatively smaller reefs off the south of Viti Levu are world-renowned surf spots.Though no law prevents anyone from riding any wave they want, wave rights have become a hotly contested topic along one barrier reef in particular South West of Nadi. This is because landowners have enforced agreements entered into with Tavarua Island and Namotu Resorts respectively. There is occasional access to outsiders on Saturdays.
There is world class surf at Frigates Passage though, which is on the shallow reef at the edge of Beqa Island’s massive lagoon. The spot is in relative seclusion and absolutely stunning. The best beach breaks are on the south coast of Viti Levu, the main island. There is surfing off Hideaway although only 1 hour each side of high tide and undercurrents are dangerous. Natadola Beach is good for body surfing.
Best surfing time is April to December. If bringing surfboards into the country, check first with your airline carrier for baggage restrictions and excess costs. Local airlines will not carry surfboards without advance warning. Many children learn to surf at Natadola Beach which is about half an hour’s drive from Nadi. However, with the development of a resort in the area, some parts have been placed off-limits to locals and visitors alike.
Great diving in Fiji
Properties that offer ideal diving and surfing activities include:
- Bounty Island Resort, Mamanucas
- Safari Lodge, Sunshine Coast
- Surf and Dive-the Rendezvous
- Aqua Trek Beqa Diving, Beqa
- Plantation Island Resort, Mamanucas
- Betham's Beach Cottages, Sunshine Coast
- Lalati Resort & Spa, Beqa
- Tokoriki Island Resort, Mamanucas
- Matava - The Astrolabe Hideaway, Kadavu
- Travellers Beach Resort, Nadi
- Beach Escape Villas, Nadi
- Waidroka Bay Surf & Dive Resort, Coral Coast
- Kulu Bay Resort, Beqa
- Lawaki Beach House, Fiji Islands Beqa
- Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa, Coral Coast
- Horizon Backpackers & Travel Centre, Nadi